Yellow is an app that allows you to connect and chat to new people. Users can swipe right on someone else’s profile to ‘like’ them, and swipe left to pass on to view other users’ profiles.
If two users ‘like’ each other, they can chat and share images. You can then add that person on Snapchat and send messages, photos or videos.
Some of our Net Aware users have referred to Yellow as ‘Tinder for teens’ and have raised concerns about the dangers of talking to strangers online. Children and young people are also exchanging other social media information such as Snapchat names, and adding one another on other sites.
“Any app that allows strangers to send photos to children or vice versa is troubling. We encourage parents to have regular conversations with their children so that they know how to keep safe when using apps such as Yellow." said The NSPCC
What you need to know about Yellow
Here’s some key information you need to know about Yellow before starting to use the app:
- You must not be under the age of 13 if you are using Yellow.
- There are no privacy setting options and no way to block users.
- Instagram and Snapchat can also be linked to your account.
- Users can see all personal information that you post on your account.
- There is no way to verify your age when you sign up to Yellow. This means that all children and adults can get access to this app.
- You can have a look at Yellow’s safety page where you can report concerns about the app.
To help keep your child safe when using Yellow, talk regularly with them and try using our conversation starters. Discuss with your children the potential risks and the positive aspects of using such apps and let them know they can always turn to you or a trusted adult if they are feeling worried or upset.
If you would like more information on Yellow, an expert advisor at our free O2 NSPCC Online Safety Helpline will be happy to talk you on 0808 800 5002 - they can help with any queries you have about social networks or online safety in general. You can also visit an O2 Guru in store, even if you’re not an O2 customer. Book your appointment here.