You should speak to your child about their Facebook friends and Instagram followers as they will be able to chat to both on Messenger.
Your child’s friends or followers will most likely be made up of friends, family and people they know from other offline activities. But sometimes kids might accept friend requests from friends of friends or other people they don’t know.
Set some rules with your child about who they can talk to on Messenger and show them how to decline follow requests from people they don’t know. You could also show them how to remove friends if they’ve already accepted a friend request.
To remove a friend on Facebook:
1) Go to profile of the person you’d like to remove as a friend.
2) Click at the top of their profile.
3) Select ‘Unfriend’ and then ‘Confirm.
To remove a follower on Instagram:
1) Tap your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
2) Tap Followers at the top of the screen.
3) Select ‘Remove’ to the right of the follower you'd like to remove, then tap ‘Remove’ to confirm.